Thursday, November 15, 2012

Comic - Family Values



I try not to edition war too much. Emphasis on the "too". I have my preferences but have been rolling dice long enough to know that if the group is good the system is largely irrelevant to the fun. I've had a great time with Palladium. Not just fifteen years ago back in High School (I was young and didn't know better), but also in the last five years.Admittedly, there are limits. And sometimes the tension points of the game system with steer the narrative in certain directions to avoid the flaws of that system. But fun can still be had. If my current players came to me as a group and said that they wanted to switch editions or try a new game I'd probably go along with it because, at the end of the day, I just want to spend time playing imagination games with friends. 

Still, I spend a lot of time on forums, if only to get ideas for future strips. And the tension on the message boards can get pretty bad. The past five years have been pretty nasty and divisive for the fanbase. It's the oilphant in the room, the subject WotC is fairly quiet on. 

It always strikes me as a little like the Republican/ Democrat split in the States. Only if the disagreements were limited to the voters and the two Parties regularly golfed together and exchanged members.

***
Also, check out the new home of 5 Minute Workday: www.5mwd.com Thank you Black Friday sales on domain hosting.
Change your bookmarks and keep reading (but I'll continue to post here as well for the first month or so)


2 comments:

  1. So, who's who? Next is obvious, but not sure if the two almost identical ones are supposted to be 3 and 3.5 or if one of them is 4.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're all from the cover of core rulebooks.
    The flying woman is from the 4e PHB. The bald bearded wizard is from the second cover of the 1e PHB and the wizard with the skullcap is from the 2e DMG.

    ReplyDelete